After renting property for months or even years on end, a large amount of dirt can build up in places that aren’t on the weekly chores list. Unless you clean every nook and cranny in your home regularly (which let’s face it, most of us don’t), then a full end of tenancy clean is needed to get the property in an acceptable condition for the next tenants.
The Benefit of an End of Tenancy Clean & Why You Should Care
Many rental agreements will have a clause stating that at the end of tenancy the property must be properly cleaned. Neglecting to clean your property and leaving the mess for the new tenants is likely to lead to losing money. If you’ve got a large deposit the best way to ensure its return is by carrying out a full end of tenancy clean before you hand back the keys. It might be a lot of work but it’s an attractive alternative to risking losing your deposit.
What’s involved in an End of Tenancy Clean?
A full end of tenancy clean involves a lot more than a quick hoover. If you don’t want to give your landlord a reason for deducting money from you then we would recommend your end of tenancy clean includes the following:
- Empty out all food etc. from kitchen cupboards and scrub them inside and out.
- Degrease the cooker hood and hobs and don’t forget the inside of the oven too.
- Wash and disinfect all sinks, wash basins, toilet bowls and bath tubs/showers.
- Any tiled surfaces should be properly washed down.
- Clean the inside of all windows including frames and sills.
- Clean appliances such as microwaves and fridges (and not just the outside!).
- Defrost the freezer and clean inside.
- Shine all mirrors or glass surfaces.
- Wipe down all skirting boards.
- Wash all doors and handles.
- Wipe light switches and plug sockets.
- Clean dustbins (after emptying any rubbish).
- Dust and clean all surfaces, table tops and shelves etc.
- Mop all floors and vacuum all carpets, rugs and stairs thoroughly.
- It’s probably a good idea to clean the carpets as well if you’ve lived there more than a few months.
Getting Help with an End of Tenancy Clean
Hiring an end of tenancy cleaning company can be the easiest way to ensure the property is cleaned properly and your deposit is fully returned. They are trained in the task and have all the specialist cleaning equipment and products. Above all, it saves you having to do the hard work!
If you’ve got a large deposit, booking a professional end of tenancy clean is an affordable way to really ease the stress of moving.
Share This Post!